Project operation and monitoring
Action E.1: Project coordination and management (Action in Progress)
- Translation of the proposal from English to Greek.
- Partnership agreement developed and signed.
- Kick-off meeting at MAICh premises on the 22nd of January 2009 (MAICh, NKUA and Forest Directorate of Chania).
- Meeting with Forest Directorate of Lasithi on the 18th of February 2009.
- Frequent contacts with associate beneficiaries and daily project meetings at MAICh.
- Preparation and organization of the second project meeting (11.03.2010),
- Production of the minutes of the second project meeting,
- Meetings with Forest Directorate of Lasithi (MAICh) on 02.07.2010 and with the NKUA on 12.07.2010,
- Field visits and on site discussions with the Forest Directorate of Chania (Kedrodasos, 07.07.2010, Falasarna, 13.07.2010 and Gavdos 27.09.2010)
- Completion/collection of the time sheets and the monitoring of the project finances through the project cost centre
- Visit by Ms. Hlektra Remoundou (MAICh) to the Forest Directorate of Rhodes Island in the South Aegean on the 13th of January 2011 in order to inform various stakeholders in the area about the progress of the project. Moreover, on the 14th of January, Ms. Remoundou conducted a field visit to the habitat 2250* in Rhodes together with members of the Forest Directorate of Rhodes.
- Meeting between the coordinating beneficiary and representatives of the municipality of Gavdos took place at the premises of MAICh on the 1st of April 2011 and on the 15th of December 2011 in order to discuss the progress of the project and specific concrete conservation actions that will be implemented on the 3 sites (Sarakiniko, Agios Ioannis and Lavrakas) of Gavdos.
- Meeting between the coordinating beneficiary and the Forest Directorate of Lasithi took place in Agios Nikolaos on the 4th of May 2011 in order to discuss and schedule the implementation of the concrete conservation actions in Chrysi.
Moreover, the external monitoring team of the project represented by Ms. Georgia Valaoras conducted its annual monitoring missions on the 3rd of July 2009 (Gavdos), on the 28th of January 2010 (Falasarna) and on the 31 of May 2011 (Chrysi).
Additionally, the inception report (submitted on 30.09.2009), the progress report (submitted 31.01.2011) and the mid-term report of the project with its annexes (current document) and the financial report with the second payment request have been prepared and submitted to the LIFE Unit in Brussels.
Finally, the project manager and the coordination team of MAICh are in continuous communication with the associated beneficiaries, the external consultants and local stakeholders of the project in order to ensure the appropriate evolution of the project and the achievement of the deliverables and results on time as required by the common provisions. Regular email communications and consultations with scientific committee members has been taking place through this reporting period.
Action E.2: Monitoring and evaluation of the effectiveness of the project (Action in Progress)
- State of the art on monitoring and evaluation of effectiveness and the preparation of monitoring actions based on defined indicators and monitoring protocols of action A.7.
Action E.3: Scientific Committee (Action in Progress)
- Preparation and organization of the first scientific committee meeting held on 26th of February 2009 in MAICh
- Field visit to Kedrodasos-Elafonisi on the 27th of February 2009.
- Minutes of the 1st scientific committee meeting have been produced (see annex 7.3 of the inception report submitted on the 30.09.2009)
- Preparation and organization of the second scientific committee meeting held on the 21st of October 2010 in MAICh
- Regular informal communication with committee members, for consultation on various scientific issues
The third scientific committee meeting did not take place in 2011 due to the delays in the on-site implementation of some concrete conservation actions. The third scientific committee meeting will be organized during summer 2012.
Action E.4: Networking with other similar LIFE projects (Action in Progress)
- Official contacts with a number of similar LIFE projects (PROVIDUNE, ITALY LIFE07NAT/IT/000519)
- Exchange of know-how and dissemination materials with similar Spanish LIFE projects on coastal dunes with Juniperus spp. (DUNA www.lifeduna.com, ENEBRO www.lifeenebro.com).
Action E.5: Stakeholder Committee (Action in Progress)
- Preparation and organization of the first stakeholder committee meeting held on the 25th of February 2009 in MAICh (see annex 7.3 of the inception report submitted on the 30.09.2009)
- Establishment of the stakeholder committee.
- Preparation and organization of the 2nd stakeholder committee meeting held on the 22nd of October 2010 at MAICh (see annex 7.4 of the progress report submitted on the 31.01.2011)
- Regular informal discussions with committee members
- Regular informal communications with various stakeholders on issues related to the onsite implementation of various concrete conservation actions.
The third stakeholder committee meeting did not take place in 2011 due to the delays in the on-site implementation of some concrete conservation actions. The third meeting will be organized during summer 2012 in pararel with the third scientific committee meeting.
Action E.6: External auditing (Not started)
This action has not started yet. MAICh will execute one and final financial auditing at the level of the final report.